Thursday, March 6, 2008

Cakes,Roma and being a female real fan

you know the calm before the storm.. ahh welll today my walk to university was just like that..
Being one of the few real fans... not to mention of the loud ones as well...i am known by people who play/ watch soccer... going to ollivers(the university bar) was just begging to be reminded and taunted of the horrible real loss. For the most part i managed to avoid people who were merely there to taunt me.
However little did i know that today of all the days i had to go make sure that the decorations on my best friends cake are as wanted. His birthday surprise is on Friday and unfortunate for me the best pastry shop is located in Little Italy here in Ottawa. I got a call from them demanding i come today so as to make sure the cake is ready for tomorrow. As i walked towards the shop, silly as it seems, i could feel the Italian fans eyes on and jesting me , haha talk about losing my mind. However i walked on with my held high and my Madrid hat and scarf :). Walking on Preston street gave me a deja vu of last World Cup, where my best friends and I were the only France fans amongst thousands of Italian hooligans :P. The end result was just as heart wrenching as yesterday's game. I walked into the shop, talked over the beautiful soccer field design that we are to have for the cake. I was waiting for the great A-ok, since i walked 20 min from the train stop, i was a bit heated so i removed my winter coat and my scarf and hat and lay them on this table in the cafe end of the little shop, while i gabbed with one of the girls working there. All of a sudden i hear the door open and from the corner see a group of guys wearing the Italy jacket enter and turn towards the table my stuff was dumped on. Thinking that they probably just were commenting on transferring the stuff off since they needed a place to sit , i turn around to talk to them. All i hear is "hahah What a fucking team, Roma annihilated them." This was all my hot little head needed to start motherly defending Madrid. i yell back at the guy " It really must hurt knowing that even in half a decade Roma would still hold less CL titles than Real. It must be hard knowing that there are little flowers growing at old trafford where Totti cried after 7-1 murder."
I picked my belongings and was about to leave when one of them looks at me and starts to talk.. In my head i thought here we go this will never end and i shall probably be beaten up with the feisty and cracking tongue that i have... the guy asked me is that your real scarf, i was like it is and i love it. Then he goes on to add with the most bewildered look on his face " But you are a girl, i am so sorry if i didn't mean it that way to you. Madrid is good , its sad they lost." I was stunned and stood there with my eyes squinting to try and register what came out of this boy's mouth for the longest time. Was this a compliment or a sexist remark. What the hell, how did they change their mind so much because of me being a girl. However instead of acknowledging this luck the stubborn, stupid, angered Real Fan in me manages to mumble a stuttered i have no liking for Roma at all and will never like Totti. The guy laughs and offers to buy me a hot chocolait, repeating he was merely jesting at Real no hard feelings. I refuse still scowling and go back to waiting for the baker to get back to me with the bill. After 10 mins or so the girl charges me, tells me the pick time for the cake and before i leave hands me a medium sized cinnamon Hot Chocolait courtesy of Roma fans written on the Styrofoam cup. I laugh nod my head in a thank you as i exit out the door to hurry catch the train back to make it back to university.
I guess being a female Real Fan makes tons of a difference, because had i been a guy this would have definitely had a more bruised ending ;).
However
I still hate Roma, Totti and that nazi DeRossi! Just when i had forgotten how i hate Italian teams, Roma reminded me that i still despise them more than ever.
i reach university, and go study for a bit and then play cards with my friends while listening to rangers game commentary on BBC radio from his laptop, since my friends, friend is a Scottish, and getting updates on the games going on today for UEFA. Playing cards has become a trademark of my friends and i hehe. It's fun relaxing and we cheat most horribly, ahh the joys of being in university :)

Hala Madrid

No comments: